Monday, January 10, 2011

Brestfeeding

Before I had my lovely little son, I didn't think too much about how it was going to be to be a mother. I was more thinking that I would play it by ear and for something like breastfeeding, I said that I would give it a go if it worked. I do tend to think that it is the best way of feeding a baby and a way to give them a great start in life but I wouldn't have stressed and worried too much about it if it hadn't happened.

Well, D-Day came and my son decided that he didn't want to eat. All he wanted was to sleep. We tried and tried and did hours of skin-to-skin and so on, but still he didn't want to take the breast. Emotional and wrecked as I was, I was about to give up when it happened. He finally figured it out and stayed awake long enough to get feed. Hallelujah.

After the initial hurdle, it went smoothly. I did however think it was hard to be the only one able to feed him and longed for him to reach the age of 6 months so I could start to ween him, but as the weeks past, I realized how fortunate and lucky I was to have the opportunity to feed my child in the best way possible. With experience it became so easy that I started to see myself breastfeeding forever. A major change from a few months earlier.

So, to all you mums out there who are finding it difficult adjusting, it will get easier. Both you and the baby will get the hang of it. And if you don't, well the formula they have nowadays are fantastic too so don;t feel bad. If your baby is eating, happy and gaining weight, you know you are doing the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment