Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bringing your baby home

The happiest yet most anxious day in my life was when we got to bring our baby son home for the first time. We left the apartment 3 days earlier and all of the sudden we were three walking in the door and not just my partner and I. It is a moment of realization: we are actually parents! No matter how wonderful, it is life changing and a bit scary. We are actually in charge! How are we going to cope? Why is the baby screaming?

You carefully put your precious newborn down and the what? Should we change the nappy, feed him or just sit and stare at him? It is hard to know what to do but I quickly learned that you do not disturb the happy. If your baby is content and happy, do not try and interfere. Be glad that you have a few moments of peace. There will be plenty of times when he or she needs you and they are sure to let you know.

I had read somewhere that you should treat them with the respect they deserve and that you should walk them around and show them their home. It did feel a bit weird at first, but our son got a tour of the place. I am not sure he enjoyed it but I felt good about it. I had done something. Now on to the feeding, nappy changing and carrying...

No comments:

Post a Comment